- webtrends.load.js - This is the loader file responsible for configuring the tag and initiating the loading of additional files.
- This file is embedded within the App-Extension and will not be directly visible in Modern sites.
- webtrends.js - This is the core library used to gather information and send the beacon hits* to Webtrends.
- webtrends.sp.js - This is an Tag Plugin that provides additional functionality to the base tag. This provides the SharePoint data and tracking for things such the SharePoint SIte URL or document clicks tracking.
- webtrends.ups.js - This is an Tag Plugin that connects to the SharePoint User Profile Service to retreive User Profile data.
- This file is optional and may not appear in your installation.
There may be additional webtrends.xxxxxx.js Tag Plugins enabled in your installation that are optional.
The files names may also have additional text in them such as .min (a minified version), or 2013 (a SharePoint Version), or possibly a randomized string that acts as a GUID in modern tagging.
For example: webtrends.sp.min.js
Each event tracked by Webtrends will send a beacon request to the SmartSource Data Collector server(s) via a secure connection (https).
The domain is following by a DCSID, which is a 30 digit data source identifier starting with the text dcs, followed by 22 randomized alpha-numeric characters, followed by an underscore, and finally four additional alpha-numeric characters.
The DCSID is followed by dcs.gif, which is the 1x1 pixel image file delivered by the server in response to the request.
The dcs.gif is followed by a series of query parameters in parameter=value pairs that contain the actual data sent to Webtrends for analysis.
The hit looks similar to the following: